The Muse of Arkansas







Mythology tells us that when we are in need of direction we can receive inspiration from a Muse. I was so in need of relaxation and focus, so this weekend, Rick and I decided to drive down the Talimena Scenic Highway that snakes through the Ouachita Mountains in southeastern Oklahoma and into central Arkansas. Sure enough, I found my muse. It's actually a little town in Arkansas called Muse and there are more cows than people, but the serenity and the awe-inspiring beauty of wilderness enveloped me with solace I was seeking. After a day of random wandering through the Ouachita National Forest, we settled in Mt. Ida, Arkansas for the evening. I did not realize that Mt. Ida is the Quartz Crystal capital for the world due to it's abundance in the area. You can even mine it yourself, but we were not inclined for any type of labor!
A.J. and his girlfriend had gone to Altus, Arkansas yesterday to a little winery for lunch and a day out. On our way back home, we drove north through Arkansas and stopped at the same place. Wiederkehr Winery, I soon discovered, had the best Niagara wine I have ever tasted. They also have a wonderful Bavarian restaurant in their little village that specializes in authentic fare.
We are back home, but rested and relaxed after a wonderful weekend wandering with my muse.

0 comments: