Geocaching

Rick and I were going out on out hunting adventure and I went upstairs to tell Katie we were going geocaching. When I got downstairs my cellphone rang and it was Katie (yes...we call each other when we are in the house) asking "What is that geocaching thing?" It occurred to me that Rick and I have been doing this but haven't told you kids about it. Like Rick said, it's like high tech "hide and go seek" for nerds. I have attached a link.

http://www.geocaching.com/

He got into this when he bought his GPS for hiking. Basically, people hide a little container with a log in it, and then record the satellite coordinates. Then they are posted on the web. We download the coordinates and then go hunting. There are over 400 hides in Shawnee and most of them are within bicycling distance of the Airport. So that's mostly what we do. Go to the Airport, and then ride the bikes through town finding these caches. They are mostly little tubes with a signature log and sometimes a trinket or so: Take one...leave one.

It's kind of Rick's thing, but I love getting outside, riding the bikes and getting some sun.

0 comments: